Friday, August 28, 2009

The Right Thing to Do?

I'm in a cloud of confusion trying to determine the best thing to do for Bailey. It's been 34 days since her emergency spleen operation and news of terminal cancer. To look at Bailey today, you would have no idea that something awful was brewing inside of her. She is bright, funny, needy (my favorite) and to the eye, a cute 10 year old golden.

When this all transpired, I was determined to stick to chemo as per several vets and the Internet, it gave Bailey the best chance for surviving 6 months or so. Without chemo, her estimated time on earth dropped to 1 to 3 months. Either way, a heart breaker.

My girlfriend, Kelle, and I talked with a Holistic vet today and I've started to research alternative medicine for Bailey. I'd give anything for a crystal ball to tell me - 'do this and that and she'll live for several years.' Based on who you talk to or what you read, the treatment plans vary greatly. The Holistic vet today said that she has seen a dog live as long as 2.5 years with Hemangiosarcoma (Bailey's cancer). All reports show that only 10% survive past 12 months, so the vet's example is a true miracle. How do I get that miracle??

We started treating Bailey's Valley Fever a few days ago. Her appetite has dropped a little, but I'm told it will reappear as she adjusts to the medicine. I'm worried about the interaction between the chemo/cancer and meds/valley fever. Both chemo and valley fever wear down the immune system. Lord knows, I'm a perfectionist by nature and I'm now second guessing the best thing to do - and this time it REALLY matters. I'm scared to make the wrong choice and have it hurt Bailey and/or cut her life with me short. I plan to spend the weekend researching both chemo and holistic options and will do some soul searching to determine the best course of treatment. If anyone has experience with either, please contact me as I'd love to hear your story.

This last month - by far - has torn on my heart strings and played with my emotions more than any time before. Bocci and Bailey have been in and out of the vet/hospital so many times I lost count and its been touch and go with both. It seems that when one girl is doing good, the other takes a step back. As of now, Bailey is doing great and we're hoping to get Bocci back to eating solid meals (her Pancreatitis and Kidneys are still causing grief). We put Bocci on stomach meds today hoping it settles her belly. She got sick this afternoon so will likely be going back to the vet if her condition does not improve by Sunday.

Anyone know where I can buy a crystal ball?

Baileyism
Remember Scooby Doo - what a big chicken he could be? Bailey is identical. This past week the AC repair man came to the house. I'll admit, he was a bit scary looking, but the worst part was his squeaky shoes. As he walked through the house, Bailey ran to where I was sitting on the couch and literally jumped on my lap. I was laughing so hard (see right side of the picture) and she was trying to act cool while shivering at the same time. She locked both paws around my neck and was shaking...just like Scooby. Bocci is not agile enough to get on the couch, but paced back and forth like I've never seen. I guess my dad is right, goldens are sure cute, but they stink as watch dogs!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! what a dilemma! I know Rebel and Sugar Ray took about 2-3 days to adjust to the flucanazole and get their appetites back, but we didn't have chemo to interfere. I wish I had an answer for you. Holistic options seem the least invasive and I wish you and the girls the best in making a decision. If you need anything, just call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, I wanted to come by and take a look to see what's going on with your pup. I am so sorry to hear that she was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma, one of the more aggressive types of cancer. But I want you to know that during my month of frantic research, trying to save my boy, I met quite a few people who have treated their dogs successfully with oral Neoplasene, most of them adding it post-chemo. Buck Mountain Botanicals is the manufacturer. Maybe something to look into. The salve stuff is pretty graphic, but the oral stuff works well ... at least from what I have heard. I had Sparky on Neoplasene for a month, but sadly, his help came too late, and we found out shortly before his passing that the cancer had spread to every single organ ... there was just no chance.

    I don't want you to be discouraged by my blog, because I believe my boy didn't get a fair fight, it was much too late. But maybe you will be able to garner some strength and faith, because that's all I had, and I kept it till the very end. I believe our little souldogs rely on us for strength and guidance, and if you are fighting it, so will they. I wish you the best of luck ... I pray that it all works out, whatever you decide to do.

    Hugs. Be brave, be diligent ... my heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete