Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Post Chemo - Round Three

I am happy to report that Bailey is doing so much better this time around. She had her third round of chemo on Monday and so far, the side effects have been minimal. YAHOO!!

Round three was given by our new vet, Dr. Hershey, who practices an integrative approach to cancer (chemo and a mix of supplements). Bailey was pretreated with Ondansetron (5mg given sub-q) just before receiving a lower dose of the chemo drug, Doxorubicin (24.8mg). Her prescribed meds changed from Cerenia to Ondansetron given twice a day along with Metronidasole to combat diarrhea (which was happening before the treatment). I've opted to give Bailey Pepcid AC 6 hours after each Ondansetron pill to help with potential tummy issues. I'm also walking her a bit and giving low carb treats throughout the day to keep food in her system. Granted, she is not 100% and certainly not as peppy as last week, but all things considered, I am relieved.

Baileyism
Like most doggie parents, we have several nicknames for Bocci and Bailey. Bocci often goes by Slim, Pretty Princess and Big Girl. Bailey has a slew of pet names (no pun intended) such as Monster, Cute P, Wailey, Sassifrass, Puppy - and now, she has a new nickname created by her dad last night....Pee Pee. Yep, Pee Pee. While trying to encourage Bailey to eat dinner, Joe blurted out, "Come on Pee Pee." At the same time, Joe and I looked at each other and said, "Pee Pee???? Where did that come from?" I think he meant to say puppy, but it obviously came out wrong. Wish I would of had the video camera taping Joe as the look on his face was priceless.
Here is a picture of Pee Pee waiting for her dad to come home from work...notice, slimy baby is her pillow.

2 comments:

  1. Bridget, I am so happy for you and your family Joe, Bocci, and Ms. Bailey! We are all pulling for you guys, my little Bentley says Bailey will be back to herself in no time :)
    Tell Bailey to get better soon. We will need her to solve all these crimes in California :)
    Love,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I'm glad she's doing better this time. Yay. I know how heartbreaking it is when you are trying to help them, yet all they feel is discomfort at the time, and you can't explain to them what is going on.

    I had to laugh about the Pee Pee name ... I too have done that with Sparks ... I would call him Puppe (which is German for doll) and the first time Isaid it, my BF looked at me and said "Do you have to call him Poopie?" It was tough explaining to him that I was calling him a cute version of Poop, but rather a doll. LOL.

    ReplyDelete