Sunday, September 27, 2009

What Matters Most

I have to admit, this entry is a selfish one. It's purpose is to remind me to keep my chin up and remember all the warmth that Bailey brings to my life.

Make no mistake, Bailey is doing great. This third round a chemo was night and day from the previous two treatments and she soared through with flying colors. We will continue to march forward and face this ugly cancer head on.

What Matters Most
As I sit outside and watch her sun herself, chomp at flies and flash cute smiles my direction, I'm reflecting back on our journey. It's been 2 months and 2 days since her emergency splenectomy. There is no doubt, that without Joe's quick thinking, Bailey would have crossed that rainbow bridge. So, I'm one of the lucky ones. I've been blessed with 62 more days than most people get who have a pet with a ruptured spleen. I've been able to hold Bailey, take her to her favorite park, feed her out of my hand, smell her fritos feet, enjoy showtimes, and many, many more things that are special between the two of us. I pray that I will have months and years left with her....that she will be one of the miracle pups that blows the estimated 6 month survival out of the water. But, if for whatever reason she is taken before I am ready, I'll be thankful for the gift of time and the second chance that Bailey and I were given.

Baileyism
I've always told Bailey that I wanted to "bottle her up" - to capture all of her quirky traits and store them for a rainy day. This picture is one for the bottle, it captures the special way she rests her head in my hand and looks at me with pure, unconditional love. It melts my heart every time.



2 comments:

  1. Selfish posts are good for you :)

    I am happy to see that you are reflecting and feeling grateful for all those days that Bailey has given you. Indeed, she's a little miracle dog. Every day is a gift, and I'm just happy you get to consciously experience these days, focusing on the good, instead on the bad. I too pray that your little Bailey will beat all odds. It sure is looking like it. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Fritos feet ... it makes me laugh how we all think that our pups have these stinky little fritos feet! :D

    ReplyDelete