Thursday, October 15, 2009

Update on Bailey

Thank you for the outpouring of support over the past few days. Much needed and appreciated! I had a day trip to Colorado Springs for work yesterday so my wonderful sister came to the house to be with the girls. Thank you Sissy! While I'm sure they would have been fine, the peace of mind meant the world to me.

Overall, Bailey seems to be feeling good. She was prancing around the yard this morning and I can tell she wants to go for a w-a-l-k (note - I'm spelling out that 'word' as I read her every blog post and she'll go crazy if she thinks it's leash time). Thank God she has a good demeanor - It seems like I check her gum color and abdomen every 10 minutes.

I talked with the vet yesterday as I'm really torn about the oral chemo. We have not started it yet - and I'm not sure that we will. Oddly, Joe and I have uncharacteristic views about the treatment. He feels we should do the chemo and deep down, I feel we should toss it to the side. Neither of us is right nor wrong and we both have Bailey's best interest in mind. As a pro for the chemo, there is a chance that it could help stop/slow down the cancer growth. As a con, it may make her sick. Both sides could be debated back and forth and for now, we have decided to hold off doing anything until Sunday. Why Sunday? It will give Bailey a chance to recover from her bleed and get her GI tract back on track (no pun intended). Also, our Oncologist will be at a training seminar from Friday - Monday so not as available should we have any concerns with the chemo.

**Ok - just did a proof of the blog thus far and now I'm feeling like maybe we should start the chemo...ugh, this is no easy decision.**

Baileyism
Bailey has always been a bit of a dare devil. Her first experience with presumed 'super doggie powers' came as a pup when I was teaching her to swim. I bought this life jacket which I think Bailey mistook for a flying cape as should would jump off the boulders into the pool. Somewhere in our moving boxes I have the video and will share at a later date. In the meantime, just visualize this crazy girl running and jumping off boulders 10x her size.

1 comment:

  1. I was JUST logging in to see whether you had updated your blog and it showed a new post "0 minutes ago" ... I was right on target.

    This is the cutest picture I have seen in a while. How cute little Bailey looks in her tiny swim vest, and yes, please share the video if you can find it. :)

    I'm happy to hear that you're hanging in there, and I understand that you are torn. When Sparks was diagnosed, I said to myself, if the Vet tells me it would have no effect, or if Sparks gets too sick (the Neoplasene makes them nauseous too), then I would stop everything and just make him comfortable and give him the best moments of his life ... I think you will know in your heart, Bridget. I knew too.

    You're making all the right decisions, just listen to your heart. Lots of hugs.

    ReplyDelete